Although it is alright to travel to Kazakhstan any time of year with the right preparation and logistics, travellers should keep in mind that Kazakhstan has hot summers and very cold winters. The most comfortable months to travel are from May to September, though July, August and September are best for trekking in the south-eastern and eastern mountains.
In general, all foreign nationals are required to have business or tourist visas to enter Kazakhstan. To obtain a Kazakhstan visa, foreign citizens should apply to a Kazakhstan diplomatic/consular institution in their country of residence.
Documents required for visa:
1. Copy of the first two pages of their passport, a valid passport (or international travel document),
2. a copy of their Kazakhstan visa support (invitation letter) with a notification of their visa support number by the DCS of the MFA (or the original individual invitation issued by the Police),
3. the completed visa application form (pdf) and
4. 1 passport-size photo;
5. Fee, payable on collection of visa
6. For 5 days transit visas, the visa of the destination country and onward ticket (or a reservation) is required.
7. Hotel booking confirmation
8. International flight booking confirmation
The passport should not expire earlier than six months after the validity term of the requested visa. Other necessary documents will be determined by the consul at the time of application.
Visas are issued within 7 calendar days from the day of presenting all documents. Documents are accepted with a visa support letter from the Diplomatic-consular service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
In order to get single entry official, private, tourist or business visa to Kazakhstan, nationals of the following countries do not need letter of invitation (Kazakhstan visa support): Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Great Britain, Greece, Denmark, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Malaysia, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Portugal, Singapore, the USA, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, France, the Republic of Korea.
Citizens of the following countries do not need entry Kazakhstan visa to visit Kazakhstan: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Byelorussia, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan and Ukraine.